As a financial planner, I frequently come across money-making schemes or ideas that seem too good to be true. When I first read about websites claiming to find my “lost” money, I rolled my eyes (but clicked the links and searched for my name anyway). I’m aware that businesses are legally bound to turn over unclaimed property to the state, but I needed to see for myself. Typically, the amounts waiting to be claimed are under a $100 and only require an online form to be claimed. However, larger amounts may require more paperwork for validation purposes.

I’ve found these three sites below to be legit. Be sure to check with each state you’ve lived in to verify that you don’t have money waiting to be claimed, such as an old utility deposit, life insurance policy, etc. For our friends who don’t live in Kansas- most states have a site either through their Treasurer’s or Controller’s Office. Check the State’s website to see if they have an online unclaimed property search.

Kansas State Treasurers Site:

Missing Money:


If you find money owed to you, be sure to let me know.  As a fee-only financial planner, I work to save people money. Actually helping find “lost” money for people would be the icing on the cake.

John P. Chladek, MBA, CFP® is the President and Founder of Chladek Wealth Management, LLC, a fee-only financial planning and investment management firm specializing in helping families and couples who are not yet retired realize their financial goals.  For more information, visit

All written content on this site is for information purposes only.  Opinions expressed herein are solely those of John P. Chladek, MBA, CFP®, President, Chladek Wealth Management, LLC.  Material presented is believed to be from reliable sources and we make no representations as to its accuracy or completeness.  All information and ideas should be discussed in detail with your individual advisor prior to implementation.  Investment Advisory services are offered by Chladek Wealth Management, LLC, a registered investment advisory firm in the State of Kansas.  The presence of this web site on the Internet shall in no direct or indirect way be construed or interpreted as a solicitation to sell or offer to sell investment advisory services to any residents of any state other than the State of Kansas or where otherwise legally permitted.