The end of the year provides a number of planning opportunities to address. Click here for a comprehensive checklist of the types of year-end planning issues you should be considering to ensure you maximize cash flow and tax opportunities in the current year and beyond.
In this checklist, we cover a number of planning issues that you should consider prior to year-end to ensure your plan stays on track, including:
- Various issues surrounding your investment and retirement accounts including matching capital gains against any investment losses in taxable investment accounts, and ensuring that all RMDs are taken.
- Tax planning issues including moves dependent upon your prospects for higher or lower income in the future. You will also want to review where you sit relative to your tax bracket; this is a good time to make moves to fill out your tax bracket for the current year that also might prove beneficial down the road.
- For those who are charitably inclined, there are several strategies that could also help reduce your tax liability based upon your situation.
- For those who own a business, tax reform has created some opportunities surrounding pass-through income from your business to your personal tax return. Accelerating or deferring business expenses presents another possible planning opportunity.
- It’s wise to review your cash flow situation as you near year-end to see if you can fund a 529 plan for children or grandchildren, or to see if you can save more in an HSA or employer-sponsored retirement plan like a 401(k).
The contents of this article are for general information and educational purposes and should not be construed as specific investment, financial planning, tax, accounting, or legal advice. Please consult with a professional advisor before taking any action based on the contents of this article. All investment and financial planning strategies involve the risk of loss that you should be prepared to bear. We cannot guarantee any investment performance whatsoever, and past performance is not indicative of potential future returns.